If you’ve been following my posts, you already know how excited I am to have purchased an air fryer. Aside from chicken wings, I was most looking forward to trying my hand at zucchini fries.
Without a recipe, I pulled the usual move and jumped on Pinterest for some guidance and inspiration. Honestly, what I found was largely disappointing. Most recipes call for almond flour in place of panko breadcrumbs. Now, first of all— there has got to be a keto-approved “breadcrumb” on the market already. If you know of such a brand— please enlighten me. Second, almond flour is not an acceptable alternative. In my experience, the majority of the almond flour “breading” falls off in the egg wash or on the cage of the air fryer. And I know what you’re thinking— yes, I used plenty of oil spray to prevent sticking.
Now, I’m not gonna lie. Even with my improved recipe, some of the breading will still stick to the cage. Regardless, the flavor and texture of these keto-approved zucchini fries is unbeatable.
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
Yield: 10 fries / Serving size: 5 fries
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ cup ground pork rinds*
- ½ cup Parmigiano Reggiano, grated
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning or choice seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Avocado oil spray or choice oil
*It’s unlikely you’ll find ground pork rinds. I generally use a mortar and pestle, but a rolling pin would work as well.
- Cut the zucchini in half, and into sticks about 1/2 inch thick and 3-4 inches long.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the pork rinds, parmesan, spices and fresh cracked pepper. Mix to combine.
- Dredge zucchini in egg and place in cheese mixture. Coat all sides of zucchini with “breading” and place in the air fryer.*
- Generously spray fries with avocado oil spray.
- Cook for 10 minutes at 400°F, or until crispy.
*Place fries in a single layer to allow for appropriate cooking. My fryer is so small I had to make 3 or 4 batches.
Enjoy with homemade ranch or blue cheese dressing.
Brand New to Keto?
If you’re brand new to keto and not sure where to begin I encourage you to check out my FREE Keto Kickstart Masterclass!
Whether you’re well-versed or brand spankin’ new to keto life and looking for some help, you should check out Katie’s coaching program. Coach Katie lives keto all day, errryday. She keeps up to date on the latest science, so you don’t have to. But more importantly, she addresses your specific goals to help you achieve ultimate success on your keto journey. And it’s always better to have someone in your corner, guiding you along. So if you’re ready for total life transformation and ultimate keto success, schedule your FREE initial keto consultation today!
Leave a Reply