Seared scallops are by far one of my favorite foods! Unfortunately, they’re one of those foods that always seemed to taste better at a restaurant. Meaning, I just couldn’t get a handle on how to cook them to perfection— until now. Thanks for the tip chef call— this recipe is SO simple, and SO delicious!
Now, do keep in mind that quality product plays a huge roll. I’ve chosen dry packed, U10 sea scallops. Dry packed scallops are not packed in any kind of preservative that causes them to absorb water and lose flavor. U10 refers to their size, meaning it will take just a few of them to make a sizable meal. U10 sea scallops are the richest and creamiest of them all- perfect for a simple pan fry.
Seared Scallops + Baby Arugula with Orange Blossom Vinaigrette
Yield: 1 salad / Serving size: 1 salad
- 2 U10 sea scallops
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 4 cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 Tbsp ghee, grass fed butter or avocado oil
- 1 clementine or tangerine
- A few slivers of red onion
- 1 lemon squeeze
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp champagne vinegar
- Pinch Himalayan sea salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
Orange Blossom Vinaigrette
Yield: 4 Tbsp / Serving size: 2 Tbsp
- Squeeze juice of lemon and clementine into a small mixing bowl.
- Add olive oil and vinegar and whisk together.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Place butter or oil in cast-iron pan and bring to high heat.
- While pan is heating, dress both sides of scallops with salt and pepper.
- Once pan is nice and hot, drop scallops in pan and prepare for smoke.
- Sear until golden brown (2-3 minutes on either side).
- Once scallops are nicely browned, place in baking dish and add about 1/4 inch of water to pan (to keep scallops moist).
- Bake at 475 degrees for 4-7 minutes, depending on size and desired temp. I generally cook thick scallops for 5 minutes because I prefer them medium rare.
- While scallops are baking, prepare salad with arugula, tomatoes and onion.
- Place seared sea scallops over salad and dress with orange blossom vinaigrette.
- Bon appétit!