These muffins are exactly what you’d expect out of coffee cake— fluffy and moist, with just the right amount of sweetness.
I didn’t realize how much I enjoyed coffee— until I became pregnant. Whether or not you’ve ever experienced pregnancy, I’m sure you’re aware that pregnant women are basically forced into black-listing all sorts of foods (and activities)— caffeine being one of them. Now, believe me— I plan on diving into the topic of pregnancy do’s and don’ts (because there are a whole lotta misconceptions floatin’ around out there)— just not today. Today we’re talking about coffee cake muffins.
Would it surprise you to hear that coffee cake actually contains no coffee whatsoever?
Probably not. Probably everyone in the world knew this before me.
Guess I’ve never been a big fan of coffee cake. In fact, prior to preggers I’d probably eaten it once, maybe twice in my life. Then suddenly this baby comes along and I can’t get enough of the stuff— pregnancy is weird.
Anyhoo, instead of eating ALL the gluten-filled coffee cakes available to me and dealing with the super fun side-effects (especially the atomic gas, that one’s my favorite). I decided to recreate these in gluten-free form— and let me tell you— they did not disappoint.
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These delicious muffins are easily assembled in a 3-part process. The first part of the process involves mixing the batter. But before getting anything out of the pantry, go ahead and preheat the oven to 350°F. While the oven is warming, grease up your 6-man muffin tin with real butter (or stuff with liners).
Coffee Cake Batter
Yield: 6 muffins | Serving Size: 1 muffin
Calories: 214 | Fat: 21g | Carb: 4g | Protein: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Fiber: 2g
- 2 cups blanched almond flour
- 4 Tablespoons erythritol granular sweetener
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 2 large pasture-raised eggs
- 10 Tablespoons organic heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, erythritol, baking powder, sea salt, and cinnamon. Stir until uniform in color.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg and heavy whipping cream. Once fully incorporated, pour mixture over dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Divide the batter into two bowls. Distribute the batter from one of the bowls into the muffin tin (making 6 jumbo, or 12 mini muffins).
Next up, cinnamon streusel topping.
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
Yield: 1 cup | Serving Size: 2 Tablespoons
Calories: 122 | Fat: 12g | Carb: 2g | Protein: 1g | Sugar: 0g | Fiber: 2g
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 3 Tablespoons erythritol brown sweetener
- 3 Tablespoons erythritol granular sweetener
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
- 5 Tablespoons unsalted, grass-fed butter, melted and cooled
- In a large bowl combine almond flour, sweeteners, cinnamon, and sea salt. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Add butter and stir until well combined.
- Crumble over top of muffin batter.
- Crumble approximately 1 Tablespoon of streusel over top of each muffin (covering the batter).
- Distribute the remaining batter amongst the muffins (covering the streusel topping).
- And then again, sprinkle the remaining streusel over the top of each muffin. If you’ve chosen to make 6 jumbo muffins the streusel will be filled to the brim.
- Once fully assembled, bake the muffins at 350°F for 20 minutes.
While the muffins are baking, it’s time to prepare the vanilla cream icing.
Vanilla Cream Icing
Yield: 1/2 cup | Serving Size: 1 Tablespoon
Calories: 38 | Fat: 4g | Carb: 0g | Protein: 1g | Sugar: 0g | Fiber: 0g
- 2 ounces organic cream cheese
- 1 Tablespoons unsalted, grass-fed butter
- 2 Tablespoons erythritol confectioners
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place the butter and cream cheese in a pan or microwave and warm until softened (about 60 seconds in the microwave).
- Once softened, whisk together until light and fluffy (about 30 seconds).
- Add the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla. Stir together until well combined.
- Drizzle icing over hot muffins and dig in!
Brand New to Keto?
If you’re brand new to keto and not sure where to begin I encourage you to check out my FREE Keto Kickstart Masterclass!
Whether you’re well-versed or brand spankin’ new to keto life and looking for some help, you should check out Katie’s coaching program. Coach Katie lives keto all day, errryday. She keeps up to date on the latest science, so you don’t have to. But more importantly, she addresses your specific goals to help you achieve ultimate success on your keto journey. And it’s always better to have someone in your corner, guiding you along. So if you’re ready for total life transformation and ultimate keto success, schedule your FREE initial keto consultation today!
This content is for informational and educational purposes only. It is not intended to provide medical advice or to take the place of such advice or treatment from a personal physician. All readers/viewers of this content are advised to consult their doctors or qualified health professionals regarding specific health questions. Neither Katie Rodriguez nor the publisher of this content takes responsibility for possible health consequences of any person or persons reading or following the information in this educational content. All viewers of this content, especially those taking prescription or over-the-counter medications, should consult their physicians before beginning any nutrition, supplement or lifestyle program.